Pages

Wednesday 28 October 2009

It's a Girl!!!!

So here's the story...

I asked Mom to come out on Friday to help watch Cali so I could put the car seats in the car and tidy around the house. Well as it turned out I felt the baby drop around 5pm that night and asked Mom to stay. My first contraction was around 9pm and continued through the night. At one point they were even 6 minutes apart. Around 5am I thought that I would try to get some sleep so I laid down and the next thing I knew it was 8:30am. Needless to say I was a little disappointed that I hadn’t had the baby already. My labour with Cali was 13 hours from start to finish so I figured this thing should be done by now.

So I got up and started doing things around the house and my contractions continued on sporadically throughout the day. Finally around 5pm the contractions jumped from 5 minutes to 2.5 minutes. So I figured it was time to go. As we drove to the city I still didn’t think that the pain was intense enough to be checked, so Ed and I were talking about going to the mall for a bit and walking around. Just as we were about to make the turn to the mall I had a strong contraction and suggested that we go to the hospital instead.

So I walked up the maternity triage and told them that I didn’t think that I really needed to be there; however I would like to be checked since I had been in labour for so long. I basically just wanted to know that I had accomplished something. So they hooked me up the fetal monitor and noticed a few decelerations in the baby’s heart rate but weren’t too concerned as she remained very active. I was left on the monitor for quite some time. I still figured that they would send me home as the pain was quite tolerable. I was then checked by the doctor at 9pm who told me that my cervix was very thin and that I was at 6cm, so I wasn’t going anywhere. I was so relived to hear that news I almost cried.

We were then transferred to the delivery room where I jumped in the bathtub and enjoyed the hot water from the shower. The whole time I was able to talk to Ed and we were making jokes. Again with Ed’s help I was able to have another drug free labour and delivery. He is the best labour coach ever, couldn’t have done it without him. After about half an hour in the tub I felt it was time to get out, then I felt the pressure of the baby’s head and I knew it was time to have the baby. Ed found the nurse quickly for me and I was able to start pushing.

Once the baby’s head was out they asked me to stop pushing but as any woman who has had a baby knows that almost an impossible request. So they let me finish pushing the baby out. As it turns out the cord was wrapped around our baby’ s neck twice. They wanted me to stop pushing so they could cut it, but since it didn’t take me much time to finish pushing they were able to unwrap it quickly. Ed said her face was quite blue, but by the time I saw her she had already started to pink up. Her one minute and five minute APGAR score was 9; so she was just fine.

Lexi was born to us on Saturday October 24th 2009 at 9:55pm weighing in at 6lbs 12oz and 19 inches long. Dr. P. Connick was our fantastic doctor and Ingrid was our amazing labour and delivery nurse. We had a fantastic experience at the hospital all the staff were pleasant and very knowledgeable. Without their help I don’t think that Lexi would have made it. It scares me to think that we could have lost her.

So that’s the story of how Lexi came to us and we don’t ever want her to leave!

4 comments:

  1. Wow!!! I can't even imagine... Congratulations!!!!! Amazing story! :) :) :) Kramar fran din winnipegsyster!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations!!! So glad to hear everyone is ok.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats!!!! She is beautiful. I loved the story. I only hope that I have a drug free delivery. I cant wait to hear more wonderful stories from the Yu household.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations! She's beautiful. And Cali looks so cute holding her and talking about her toes. Can't wait to meet her! xoxo

    ReplyDelete