Pages

Monday 19 October 2009

The Best Parent of All


First of all I should have known better. All the signs of a disaster were present. Cali was in my room being extremely quiet… but I was really enjoying the lack of interruption as I cleaned the kitchen after breakfast. I should never have left any type of potential mess maker in a toddler’s reach. A lesson I learned today, and I hope anyone reading this will also learn.


When Cali emerged from my bedroom I asked her what she was doing. “Making a mess” she replied innocently with a smile. I wasn’t too concerned as lately she has been “making a mess” by unfolding the burp clothes and baby blankets I have stored on the change table. She loves to pile them up and jump over them. However at a closer look I saw some pink colour on her slipper and saw the same colour on the left knee of her pajamas. I asked Cali about it but didn’t get a response; I decided to investigate.

Cali had found my best MAC lipstick (of course) in my scripture bag which I left on my night stand after church yesterday. The lipstick as you can see in the photo to the left was then used to decorate my cream coloured carpet.

This was Cali’s first offense in this manner (yes I have been lucky). I didn’t know how to react. I normally don’t punish her for something the first time because I figure she doesn’t know any better but this time I felt needed punishment. So I put her in time out, which she was upset about. I attempted to with no success to remove the lipstick myself. So I called SEARS, they are coming out tomorrow and told me they would most likely be able to remove the lipstick. Thank Heaven.

Since I didn’t know what to do with Cali at that point I asked for help from the best parent I know, Heavenly Father. I just want to say how grateful I am for the tool of prayer. He is always there to listen to my concerns and give advice and comfort. After my prayer I realized that a stained carpet is not the end of world. As He knows I have made worse mistakes and have always had His forgiveness. Worst case scenario we have to replace the carpet, which is getting tired anyway. I love Cali so much and I am so glad that I have Him to go to all the time; it sure eases the stress of parenthood.

Now my project for the remainder of the day is putting mess potential out of reach.

1 comment:

  1. Great story Meg. And a good lesson learned for BOTH of you!! Glad the carpet got cleaned. I like how she admitted to "making a mess". :) She's too cute.

    ReplyDelete