Pages

Monday 20 June 2011

The Sneaky Chef

Things have been busy needless to day.  I find the spring always a bit overwhelming, I am not sure if it the fact that the snow has finally melted revealing a disgraceful garden in need of attention, the call from my closets begging to be de-junked, or the fact that I feel like a single mom this time of year with Ed being so caught up with writing exams, tutouring his students, badminton finals, hockey playoffs and other things that keep a husband busy.

Knowing how last spring went I was proactive in preventing a break down like I had last year.  This is what did:

- cut back my hours at work
- dropped my exercise class
- stopped answering the phone
- took the girls away as much as possible
- invested in a slow cooker recipe book
- froze meals in advance
- left chores for July that could be done in July
- did not get pregnant or have a baby

Last year was just plain awful.  See for yourself: http://edandmegyu.blogspot.com/search?updated-min=2010-01-01T00%3A00%3A00-07%3A00&updated-max=2011-01-01T00%3A00%3A00-07%3A00&max-results=47

I can't tell you how many times I was crying in bedroom.  I hope to put all of these guidelines in effect for next year as well.  Yes, especially the last one.  Not being pregnant or being attached to a baby is so freeing.  As much as we love our kids, Ed and I need a break.  This is our first summer without a fetus or a new baby since we have married and it has been fabulous thus far.

Since my hours were cut back at work I also started to have more fun in the kitchen.  I found this great recipe book "the Sneaky Chef" at the library.  I had it out for about 9 weeks and took out again... so I decided to splurge and purchase a copy for myself.

It gives you ideas in how to add vegetables into any meal.  It takes a lot of prep but if you happen to have a four year old daughter it can turn into mother daughter bonding time.  Cali loves to help steam and puree the vegetables to add to our meals.

Anyway that it about it from here.  I will try to add some pictures from our camping trip last week.  Yes I took the girls camping... but I wasn't alone a friend came too with her daughter.

1 comment:

  1. I would consider getting this book as well:

    http://www.amazon.com/Cooker-Revolution-Editors-Americas-Kitchen/dp/1933615699

    Like I told you on the phone. Anything by CI or ATK is great.

    ReplyDelete