Pages

Wednesday 10 November 2010

The Library

I have to admit the library is one of most favourite places.  When I was little girl I remember Mom taking me there and allowing me to choose whatever book I wanted.  I remember taking home Raffi and Anne Murray's "There's a Hippo in my Tub" records.  I even remember one special trip when we got to go into the basement and watch "Mary Poppins" on the big screen.

As I grew older it became a place of escape, within its walls I go anywhere.  Books and videos that I checked out could take to me to far away lands, or tell me local folktales.  I still love the library today for that very reason.

Last Spring when the weather was crumby Cali and I made way to the library.  I picked up a few things I had on hold and Cali got out a movie.  Luckily enough one of our favourite staff members was on.  She asked me how I liked the weather and I told her I didn't mind as long as I had the library to go to.  She laughed telling me that earlier that day someone had come in and tore a strip off her about the weather.  I was shocked.  I suppose I assumed that the library was everyone's "getaway", why would you be cranky there?

When Cali turned two I started taking her to the library weekly for "Story time".  She loves it!  Every week we are introduced to new characters in the books we read and after we get to make a great craft that entertains until the following week.

This past Tuesday was no different.  As we were checking out the Librarian approached a woman and asked if he could speak with her very politely and she in turn was very rude.  Once again I was shocked.  I have always thought that working in the library would be a peaceful, pleasant job.  However I suppose dealing with the public is never 100% pleasant.

Anyway this blog post is dedicated to my librarian and everyone who works or has worked in a library.  Thanks for keeping my getaway open, organized, up to date, and full of great activities.  I did find this video on youtube and now I can understand just how stressful a librarian's job can be.

      

2 comments:

  1. That's awesome you and your girls are able to spend good quality time there.

    I wouldn't exactly describe a library as my "escape". Haha, I used to spend the whole time chasing Roel who was determined to get lost and play on all computers. Now I can just imagine the double trouble. There's an example of stress for librarians. Oh well, I don't mind borrowing books from friends.

    ReplyDelete
  2. People used to ALWAYS say to me, "Working in the library must be so peaceful," when actually there were people vomiting on the computers and homeless men telling me conspiracy theories and angry, ungrateful people yelling at me all day long while I tried to buy books and plan programs and get a ton of work done that no one realizes librarians are even doing.

    Glad you enjoy the library!

    ReplyDelete