Pages

Sunday 20 September 2009

Wicked



I finally finished reading "Wicked" by Gregory Maguire.  I really struggled with this book I started reading it back in August and I just couldn't get into it.  I actually read another book in the meantime just to get a break.  I was intrigued by this story as the musical is so popular and I have heard great things about it.  I have a feeling that the book and the musical are quite different.  I haven't met anyone who has read the book and seen the musical, so if anyone has any input I would like to hear it. 

The book itself was very dark and it moved around a lot.  At the end all the loose ends to came together which helped but there were a lot of parts in the book that I didn't feel needed to be included to tell the story.  I am sure those parts have been left out of the musical.  I never quite got the whole Dragon of the Time Clock thing.  Actaully there were a lot of things that I didn't fully understand.  I would love to have a book club meeting about this book, so I could understand more of the story.  If anyone has read this book and would like to discuss it with me please, please contact me.

I can't say that I would recommend this book, but it did give me an alternative view of the original Wizard of Oz.  It's an interesting idea that the authour came up with.  I hear his other stories are also quite interesting.  Perhaps it was his writing style that I struggled with.  I doubt that I will read the sequel "Son of a Witch" although I was told it was better than "Wicked".

All in all interesting book, not my favourite.       

4 comments:

  1. I guess I'll just see the play. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should read some good books... ie: my books. There are a million of them in Mom and Dad's garage.

    I reccommend "No Great Mischeif". When we were in Hilden, Rod said he liked it as well. Me and Rod like it, so it's good. Also, "A Complicated Kindness" is good, but a depresser.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok Meg, I still have not read the book but I just saw the play on Broadway and it was AMAZING...you could even say it was Wicked (sorry I had to). In summary it was very, very good and if you have a chance I would totally recommend it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would love to see that musical. I see that it is on tour right now in States so I am hoping it will come to Canada before too long. Or maybe I will just have to jet over to New York.

    ReplyDelete