Pages

Sunday 14 August 2011

San Francisco

Our family just back from San Francisco last night.  We had a great time down there and learned about the city.  So if you are ever to plan a trip there here are a few pointers.

- The weather is cold in the summer, feels like fall or early spring.  Be sure to pack sweaters, long pants and a toque.

- No need to rent a car if you stay downtown.  The transit system is awesome, and everything to see is in the downtown core within walking distance.

- San Franciscans are so friendly and so willing to help us out with directions and our kids.  At one point on the trip both girls were hurt and crying and I was trying to comfort both of them by myself and a kind lady approached me and started distracting the girls.  After she gave me a pep talk and told me I was doing a great job as a mom.

-  Do not miss the Aquarium of the Bay.  I didn't know what it was like and convinced Ed to take me just because I love aquatic animals.  I thought that there were just a few tanks and we were done.  I had no idea in the basement you get to walk through tunnels with fish swimming all around you.  If you look up you just might see a shark swimming over your head.  We loved it so much we went through twice.

- Make sure you train a bit before walking up Lombard Street.  That was quite hike pushing Lexi in the stroller.  I was huffing and puffing as Ed ran along pushing Cali.

- Chinatown is awesome and huge, one of the biggest in North America.  The R&G Lounge was the best Chinese Food we found.  Believe me we ate a lot of Chinese Food.  I think we had Dim Sum 4 or 5 days in a row.  I got to try lots of new foods.

- Also there is a little Italy, little Chile, and a Japantown.  The pasta was so fresh in little Italy... I can't go back to Boston Pizza!

- Do not enter Neiman Marcus unless you are dressed for it.  We went in looking for parts to our stroller... won't be doing that again.

Overall we had a great trip.  I don't have any pictures yet as Darryl was the official family photographer.  When he sends us a few I will be sure to post them.      

6 comments:

  1. I went to San Francisco when I was 10 years old. My Aunt lived there at the time. My parents took us for a very short trip. We drove. I hardly remember any of it....but I DO remember the street you are talking about. And the street car rides. Hope to be able to go back there again someday. Thanks for the tips! Welcome back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just remembered, I was supposed to tell you to go to some amazing fortune cookie factory, which MB said was the best thing in San Francisco.

    Also, please don't ever go to Boston Pizza... I'll teach you how to make good pasta at home. We have some great recipes. MB wants to know if Ed can cook, she's wanting some instruction on authentic Chinese. I said he's practically a chef like his Uncle Dimples.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree Ed is great cook and an even better Dad. Glad you enjoyed San Francisco.

    KWB

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lynn- Thanks we had a great time. You should take your family back.

    Steve- I didn't like BPs to begin with but now it is even worse.

    KWB- Ed is SUCH a great Dad!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes. It's been 3 years since I've been to SF. It is an awesome but cold city. I agree the people are friendly and transit is fantastic. I find most areas to be very safe. Good for you accomplishing Lombard with a stroller.
    Did you get the famous egg tarts at the golden gate bakery?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes we did have egg tarts a few times but not from the Golden Gate Bakery. The coconut buns were fabulous.... no more of those for me for a while!

    ReplyDelete